The Morelet's crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii), listed as an Endangered Species in 1970 (and under Appendix I of CITES in 1975), has been removed from the listing due to its improved status, according to a press release put out by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The USFWS says 87 percent of the population can be found in Mexico and Belize, with the remaining 13 percent found in Guatemala. Due to their status, the Morelet's crocodile was moved to CITES Appendix II in Mexico and Belize. It remains as a CITES Appendix I listing in Guatemala at the request of that country.
The crocodile, which is found in Belize, Guatemala and Mexico, grows to approximately 6-8 feet in length, with a maximum length of 11 feet. It is found in swamps, lakes, and slow moving bodies of water.
The final rule to remove Crocodylus moreletii from the Federal List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife was published May 23, 2012 in the Federal Register and becomes effective June 22, 2012.