These REPTILES categories require images and text:
Breeder’s Choice – Submissions where breeders tout their latest morphs and unique herps.
Into the Wild – Stories (keep to 1,200 words) with photos about herping trips.
Showpix – Photos from a recent reptile show or event.
Living With Reptiles – Photo and text submissions telling a herpkeeping story in 500 words or less.
Where In The World Is REPTILES? – Photo and description of you and REPTILES magazine in an interesting locale.
Be sure to include the category title, such as Living With Reptiles, with your submission.
Submissions with great images have a better chance of acceptance. Prints, slides or high-resolution digital images are best.
- Prints should be on photo paper, and sized 4x6 inches or larger. Do not send negatives.
- Slides should be 35 mm transparencies.
- Digital images should have a resolution of at least 300 dpi, sized to 5x7 inches, and saved as a jpeg file. If these specs mean nothing to you, digital images downloaded straight from the camera usually are OK; Web images are too small.
- Labeling is ultra-important. Every effort should be made to identify the animal correctly. Animal names, both common and scientific, should be written on the back of prints, on slide mounts or in the image file name. This info should be easy to read. Your name should also appear somewhere on images when applicable.
- Write to us: REPTILES, P.O. Box 6050, Mission Viejo, CA 92690-6050. Sending digital images on CDs formatted for both PC and Apple computers is best.
- Don’t forget to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage to cover the return of your photos in case we don’t accept them or after we’re done with them. Please note that because digital images are copies, we do not return CDs.
- E-mail us: email@example.com.
- Also, tell us the types of herps you currently keep. This will help if there is a prize to be awarded.
For a detailed explanation on digital images and file size, click here>>